Anyone remember.....

Post memories you have of growing up in Merrick.

Anyone remember.....

Postby carolelinda » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:48 pm

CHARCOAL CHEF ON SUNRISE HIGHWAY? ANYTIME THERE WAS A DANCE OR WHATEVER, WE'D HAVE TO END UP THERE......I REMEMBER THEY'D SERVE AN ICE CREAM SODA WITH ONE OF THOSE LITTLE UMBRELLAS STUCK IN IT........ALSO, REMEMBER THE MERRICK RAILROAD STATION WITH THE POT BELLY STOVE? SOMETIMES WHEN WE'D BE HANGING OUT AND IT WAS COLD WE'D STOP IN THERE AND SIT ON THOSE OLD WOODEN BENCHES TO WARM UP......REMEMBER JUNIOR WORLD FOR GIRLS CLOTHES - ALWAYS GOT MY \"SCHOOL CLOTHES\" THERE....AND OF COURSE, BILMAR'S WHO HAD THE BEST MALTEDS.....GERMAIN'S 5 & 10 - THEY HAD BIRDS FOR SALE IN THE BACK.
carolelinda

Postby Paul_Purfield » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:46 am

You have a good memory -- wow -- Germain's -- I haven't read or heard that name in about 40 years.

My favorite store was Quaritius, the first place where I purchased 45 RPM records of my favorite groups. When my friends organized the SSNIT in high school (pseudo-basketball tournament with eight- or nine-foot rims at Smith Street (now Chatterton) School), we also went to the Palm's Luncheonette for sodas.
Paul_Purfield

Postby jhsublett » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:04 am

I remember the mini-jukeboxes at each table at Charcoal Chef.
jhsublett

Re: Anyone remember.....

Postby legnerps » Mon May 02, 2011 4:07 pm

What about Palms stationary/candy store. I used to get my Superman comics there. Oh, and Henry's Delicatessen on ...Smith Street? Great Potato Salad!
legnerps

Re: Anyone remember.....

Postby sdobbins » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:32 pm

Not so much Calhoun but across from Camp Avenue School (6th grade) we used to go to a Chinese place across Camp Avenue for $.25 Chow Mein every day - fortune cookie and a pot of tea included!
sdobbins

Return to Memories of Merrick