The Purcels

Post memories you have of growing up in Merrick.

The Purcels

Postby legnerps » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:21 pm

Anyone remember the Purcels, Francis, Richard and Dennis? Or the Sprengel's (John and Steven) for that matter? Both families lived on Meadowbrook Road near the Firehouse. How about sledding on the hill where Babylon Turnpike is now..or skating on the Pond? Looking for my childhood best friend Michael Mafucci. His family lived on Lexington Avenue....if I remember correctly. My family left Merrick in 1964. I always missed the place. Went from East Northport to Southold...now in Farmington, Maine.

steve sprengel (age 52)
legnerps

Mike Maffucci

Postby BILL_SNORTELAND » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:36 am

I don't know the circumstances but Mike Maffucci '73 is listed on the memorial page. I was a friend of his older brother Tom '65.
BILL_SNORTELAND

Maffucci and Purcel Families

Postby WRoss » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:50 pm

I lived next door to the Maffucci family on Lexington Avenue. The parents were Jim and Charlotte. There were two Maffucci sisters, Carol and Barbara. I don't really remember them. Jimmy was the oldest brother. He was in the Air Force. I recall that he was stationed at Suffolk Air Force Base in South Hampton. Tom Maffucci was about a year older than me. Jimmy, Tom, and the other neighborhood kids would play countless hours of baseball and touch football on Lexington Avenue. Tom could throw a wicked curve ball. Mike was much younger than us. I don't really remember him.

The Purcel family was on the corner of Meadowbrook Road and Lexington Avenue. The father (Dave?) drove a stock car at Freeport Stadium. One of the boys (it could have been Dennis) drowned at the reservoir.

Walter (Ruzyla) Ross - Calhoun 1966
WRoss

Return to Memories of Merrick