Howard E. Crouch

Leave a message or a tribute to a teacher no longer with us, please include name and years they worked at Calhoun.

Howard E. Crouch

Postby carolelinda » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:00 am

I just noted in NEWSDAY (Jan 9th 2007) that Howard E. Crouch, a biology teacher I remember from Calhoun, has passed away. Obituary gave no date of death but funeral was Wednesday January 10th and did not mention he was at Calhoun, only Kennedy H.S.. He had a very distinguished career and served at NY Hospital Cornell Medical Center, Veterans Admin. and 20 years at Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in NY and was the founder of an organization I never knew existed, the Damien-Dutton Society for Leprosy Aid in 1944!! He also authored 7 books dealing with the life and work of Blessed Damien, Brother Dutton and the victims of leprosy around the world.
carolelinda

Howard E Crouch

Postby jimbruzz » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:55 am

To All,

I remember Howard Crouch as a good teacher and mentor. I followed his lead and became a teacher. Later I became a Hospital Administrator as he was at Slone Kettering Memorial.
I spoke with him a few times over the years, most recently in 2005 when he was still active with the Damian Dutton Society.
Howard was a great teacher and outstanding person. He will be missed.
Jim Brush class of 1964
jimbruzz

Re: Howard E. Crouch

Postby sdobbins » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:21 pm

I remember him very well. Once he took a biology class into the city and a few of us actually got to see an autopsy. I remember his summers were spend on the former Leper colony on Molokai... Sorry for his passing. He had a great influence on many of us.
sdobbins

Return to Teacher no Longer with us